West Lynchburg Baptist Church--A Brief History
“Corner-stone laying ceremonies for West Lynchburg Baptist Church auditorium were held on November 5, 1950 with Dr. P. T. Harman, Pastor, presiding. The stone is inscribed as follows ‘West Lynchburg Baptist Church: organized November 5, 1905; erected 1948-1949; first building erected 1906-corner Richmond and Oakley Avenues, enlarged-1910; 1913-corner Memorial and Eldon Avenues; Educational Building erected 1925-1926; auditorium erected 1948-49.’”
While many parts of our facilities have been dedicated to God, the most important part of our history continues to be the people whom God has led to minister and to worship in this place for 100+ years. Our history paints a portrait of people, of West Lynchburg Baptist Church, ministering to the glory of God.
In 1910, a Sunday School Committee spent $460 to provide four more Sunday school classrooms. The church’s membership now stood at more than two hundred people. In 1920, an organ was purchased by borrowing money. Tents on the lawn were erected for Sunday school classes in 1921, and the first record of an international gift to “Russian Relief” was made in the amount of $324.17. Within the 25 years, the church ordained three men to the ministry, observed White Christmas for the first of many seasons and held the first Vacation Bible School in 1943.
The second half of our first 100 years of ministry saw growth in our ministry to the community, the city, the nation, and around the world. This part of our history is defined less by the nuts and bolts of church building and more by the ministries which impact people for salvation through Jesus Christ. Highlights of our worship include the renovation of our auditorium and the refurbishment of our organ, which is the largest single instrument in the Lynchburg community and the only blended one of its kind. Mission trips by youth and adult groups testify to West Lynchburg Baptist Church’s commitment to missions both here in the United States and Europe.
West Lynchburg Baptist Church has grown from forty to 1,436 members through its progression from a small wooden structure to a beautiful building, standing as a symbol of what people who love the Lord and labor together can do. Each pastor, in his time and in his way, contributed to the leadership needed to guide the church in its goals. Primarily we are “on mission to reach people for the family of God.”
……….History Committee; information gathered by Tom Yarber, Jeannette Giles
A complete history can be found in our church library with photos and stories.
West Lynchburg Baptist Church